Thursday, September 1, 2016

From Java Dev to Scrum Master

My previous workplace did classic Waterfall, which meant coming on and going to spec review meetings while waiting for the final green light to start coding. And I came on just before development was due to ramp up - in this case, about 6 weeks.

That was 6 weeks of reading elaborately crafted specs set out in a systematic way, and occasionally going to long tedious meetings where minor details were argued over. All this for what turned out to be a few weeks of actual development, before the long wait for testing to be complete and into production.

By the time I left, we were a few months into the design phase for the next project, with coding due to start just as soon as the specs were signed off.

The place I entered had just started taking on an Agile scrum methodology in software development. In the space of a month, I had gone to arguing over the minutiae of 100 page specifications to being asked to size stories based off a two line description and 5 minutes of discussion among the team. It was quite the culture shock!

It took a few sprints, but we slowly established a good team working ethic. When I came on, there was pessimism about whether the agile process could deliver anything other than more process for us to follow. But over the next 6 sprints, we made it work and got a high quality product out on time and with a good working relationship between business and IT.

So that brings me to where I am now. I've come out the other side of a scrum agile project as a scrum master for another. That means taking on a lot more of the organisational side of things, and consequently having a lot less time doing actual development. And it's meant spending time working out how to integrate the tools we have seamlessly into our workflow.

The way I see this blog is this - it's a way to collect my thoughts on the agile process as a whole. To write out some of the things I'm learning as I'm learning them, and to reflect on the practical realities of agile software development as I see it. I've been happy to wear the developer hat for close to a decade now, so will be an interesting journey for me to be immersed in a different aspect of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment